A Rich Osteopathic Heritage
The story of Metro Health dates back to 1942 when it was originally known as Grand Rapids Osteopathic Hospital. It was formed by a small group of osteopathic physicians who committed their personal resources to build a hospital dedicated to the principles of holistic and patient-centered care.
In 1957, the hospital relocated to 1919 Boston SE and by the late 1970′s it had grown from 28 beds to more than 200. In 1985, the name changed to Metropolitan Hospital to reflect its role as a full-service, multi-specialty hospital serving a growing region. In October of 2005, the hospital became Metro Health Hospital, anticipating the move to Metro Health Village in Wyoming, MI. The advanced, state-of-the-art medical center opened on September 30, 2007, and is setting new standards of health care delivery in a less institutional, more therapeutic environment.
Much has changed since 1942, including the hospital’s name and location, but it is that which is unchanged that has made the success of this organization possible – the unwavering commitment to improve the health and well-being of our patients and our community.