Metro Health is committed to providing a safe environment for all individuals. The promotion of safety and prevention of injury is the first consideration in all actions and the responsibility of every member of the Metro Health team. Metro Health’s culture of safety is achieved through the capable, coordinated and efficient efforts of each individual’s contribution toward these goals.
Metro Health promotes a culture of safety as demonstrated by its:
- Acknowledgement of the high-risk nature of the organization’s activities
- Non-punitive environment for event reporting to encourage frank disclosure of errors, adverse events, and near misses to stimulate productive discussions, and to identify effective system-based solutions
- Broad involvement in the development of patient and occupational safety goals and policies
- Collaboration in the identification and resolution of patient and occupational safety concerns
- Empowerment of individuals to meet their responsibilities for all aspects of safety
- Encouragement of patients and families to actively evaluate their care and the environment in which it is delivered and to report unsafe or unsatisfactory conditions
Metro Health demonstrates its commitment to patient safety through active participation with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s 5 Million Lives Campaign, the National Quality Forum’s Safe Practices, Leapfrog, the Michigan Health and Safety Coalition, the Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goals, and the Michigan Hospital Association Keystone Center for Patient Safety and Quality.
Metro Health and You…Partners in Safer Health Care
While every member of the Metro Health team is committed to providing a safe environment, there are also things that you can do to ensure safe health care. We are truly partners in this effort, and we encourage you to ask questions and let us know right away if you have any safety concerns.