Metro Health Named In 101 Best and Brightest Sustainable Companies for the Second Year
Posted: September 12, 2013
For the second year, Metro Health Hospital has been recognized as one of the 101 Best and Brightest Sustainable Companies™ in Michigan.
Metro Health was one of only three hospitals statewide to receive this award, which is sponsored by the Michigan Business and Professional Association. The award acknowledges companies from all industries that are focused on being more sustainable, improving the lives of employees and committed to local and global environments. Winning companies were evaluated based on: education, communication, strategic planning and operational implementation, environmental factors, innovation and problem solving, building and grounds, community leadership and workforce and financial performance.
Metro Health received scores in the 75th percentile of all applicants in three categories, including strategic planning and operational implementation, innovation and problem solving and environmental factors.
Metro Health was one of the first full-service hospitals in the country to be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, certified. Additionally, Metro Health’s sustainability achievements and initiatives include:
- Partnered with the City of Wyoming to collect and safely dispose of unused or expired prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs and controlled substances and exchanged old mercury thermometers for new digital ones at National Drug Take Back Day events held on the Metro Health campus
- Saved $25,000 through recycling initiatives
- Removed 95 percent of pollutants from rain and storm water on the Metro Health campus through the use of bioswales, plants whose roots filter water in the parking lots before it enters municipal drains
- Adopted a comprehensive green cleaning program that includes the use of Green Seal-certified hydrogen peroxide cleaning products, a microfiber mop system that drastically reduces water and chemical usage, and the addition of a high-intensity germicidal ultraviolet room treatment device designed to treat the air and exposed surfaces in an enclosed area
- Continued a composting program for the hospital’s cafeteria and kitchen, diverting tons of food waste from landfills into reusable composting material
- Hosted an annual spring clean-up day encouraging hospital leaders and staff to devote several hours to picking up trash and branches around the campus
- Committed to Practice Greenhealth’s Greening the OR Initiative, agreeing to share best practices, identify barriers to implementation, highlight successes and strategize about mechanisms to improve implementation of programs relevant to ”greening” operating rooms
- Installed Michigan’s second largest green roof, a little over an acre, in combination with a system of rain gardens throughout hospital parking lots, which helped achieve a zero storm water discharge site
- Received the Environmental Leadership Circle Award from Practice Greenhealth for five consecutive years for its leadership role in health care sustainability
- Recognized by the Department of Environmental Quality as a Clean Corporate Citizen, the only hospital in Michigan to receive this designation
About Metro Health Hospital
An award-winning leader in community healthcare, Metro Health Hospital serves more than 250,000 patients annually from across West Michigan – and beyond. The 208-bed hospital provides a comprehensive suite of inpatient and outpatient healthcare services, including the fastest emergency department in the region, cancer and cardiac care, robotic and traditional surgery, family practice, sports medicine and others. The LEED-certified hospital – one of the first in the nation – sits at the heart of the 170-acre Metro Health Village, a community of support services and retail. The hospital is committed to promoting health and wellness through the work of its foundation, the Metro Health Farm Market, ongoing classes and educational programs. Visit us online at www.metrohealth.net. Follow us on Twitter @MetroHealthGr and like us on Facebook/MetroHealth.