Metro Health Adds Primary Care Physicians
Posted: November 5, 2013
In an effort to increase access to primary care services, Metro Health Hospital has added six new primary care physicians to its growing family and internal medicine practices.
“Experts predict healthcare reform will provide more people with health insurance and increase demand for services, making access to primary care even more critical,” said Dr. David Duffey, Metro Health chief medical officer. “In anticipation of this, we have added six new primary care physicians who will practice in our neighborhood outpatient centers throughout the community.
“Our goal is to make it easy for patients to access care that is convenient and close to home, and the best place to treat most health issues is in the primary care office. We want to help our patients stay well and stay out of the hospital.”
The new physicians have a focus on multiple areas, including adult and geriatric medicine, wellness and preventive medicine, treatment for acute and chronic illnesses and other areas. They are:
- Larissa Dunker de Jesus, MD: Internal medicine, practicing at Metro Health Comstock Park. She holds a doctor of medicine from the Instituto Technológico de Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, where she graduated summa cum laude. She completed her internal medicine residency with the Yale Newhaven Group at Bridgeport Hospital.
- Christina Garcia, DO: Family medicine, practicing at Metro Health Cedar Springs. Garcia received a doctorate of osteopathy from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine. Garcia performed her family medicine internship and residency at Metro Health.
- Hilary Schmid, DO: Family medicine, also practicing at Cedar Springs. Schmid holds a doctorate of osteopathy from the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. She completed her emergency medicine internship at Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals and her family practice residency at Millcreek Community Hospital.
- Amanda Huver, DO: Internal medicine, practice at Metro Health Cascade. She holds a doctorate of osteopathy from the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. She completed an internship at Bay City Medical Center and her internal medicine residency at Blodgett Memorial Medical Center/Saint Mary’s Health Services.
- Jennifer Parks, MD: Family medicine, also practicing at Cascade. Parks holds a medical degree from the MSU College of Human Medicine. She completed her family practice residency at Grand Rapids Family.
- Marcia Nansel, DO: Family medicine, practicing at Metro Health Caledonia. She holds a doctorate of osteopathy from the University of Des Moines Medical School. She completed her family practice residency at Lutheran Hospital.