Metro Health Hospital Receives One of Healthcare’s Top Environmental Awards
Posted: June 9, 2014
For the sixth year in a row, Metro Health Hospital has received the top environmental award from Practice Greenhealth for its leadership role in health care sustainability.
Practice Greenhealth again recognized the Wyoming, Michigan-based community hospital with the Environmental Leadership Circle Award. Metro Health is in the top 25 hospitals that have earned this award nationwide.
The award recognizes health care facilities that exemplify environmental excellence and set the highest standards for environmental practices in health care. To be considered, facilities must meet the criteria for the mercury-free award, recycle at least 25 percent of their total waste, have implemented numerous other innovative pollution prevention programs, and be leaders in their community.
In addition to the Environmental Leadership Circle Award, Metro Health was awarded a Circle of Excellence award in the area of Waste, in recognition of their performance in recycling and waste management. The Circle of Excellence awards are a new addition to the Practice Greenhealth Awards that honor up to 10 hospitals that have shown outstanding performance in the category.
“This is the sixth consecutive year our green initiatives have received this recognition from Practice Greenhealth,” said Mike Faas, president and CEO of Metro Health. “By making sustainability a focus since the beginning, we have become a leader not only within our state, but nationwide as well. We are dedicated to continue to look for recognize new opportunities to ‘be green’ in everything we do.”
Metro Health was one of the first full-service hospitals in the country to be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, certified. In addition to maintaining its LEED accreditation, Metro Health’s green achievements and initiatives include:
- Collected and safely disposed of over 800 pounds of unused or expired prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs and controlled substances as part of the National Drug Take Back Day events held each year in the spring and fall
- Recycled 1.7 million pounds waste generated in fiscal year 2013, or 40 percent of the hospital’s total overall waste
- Adopted a comprehensive green cleaning program that includes the use of Green Seal-certified hydrogen peroxide cleaning products, a microfiber mop system that drastically reduces water and chemical usage, and the addition of a high-intensity germicidal ultraviolet room treatment device designed to treat the air and exposed surfaces in an enclosed area
- Instituted a composting program for the hospital’s cafeteria and kitchen, which diverted more than 58.5 tons of food waste from landfills into reusable composting material in fiscal year 2013, which translates to 450 pounds of waste each weekday
- Signed on to the Michigan Health and Hospital Association’s Healthy Food Hospital Pledge, which is one of the first voluntary statewide campaigns to model healthy food environments in hospitals. Also signed on to Healthier Hospitals Initiative
- Committed to Practice Greenhealth’s Greening the OR Initiative, agreeing to share best practices, identify barriers to implementation, highlight successes and strategize about mechanisms to improve implementation of programs relevant to “greening” operating rooms
- Established an employee vegetable garden on site and provide staff a discounted rate for the Doorganics program, which provides sustainable, local, organic produce delivered to the hospital
- Installed Michigan’s second largest green roof, a little over an acre, in combination with a system of rain gardens throughout hospital parking lots, which helped achieve a zero storm water discharge site
- Recognized by the Department of Environmental Quality as a Clean Corporate Citizen, the only hospital in Michigan to receive this designation
- Recognized in the inaugural year of 101 Best & Brightest Sustainable Companies
The hospital received the award during Practice Greenhealth’s annual Environmental Excellence Awards Ceremony.