Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Metro Health Hospital. Volunteers serve in many areas throughout the health system. Whatever your skills and interests are, there is a place for you in our hospital.
Volunteers donate one morning, afternoon, or evening to an assigned department to meet a minimum of 100-hour commitment per year. Volunteers receive a free meal on days they work a 4-hour shift. Some volunteer positions are open to teens that are 14-17 years of age.
Steps to Become a Metro Health Volunteer:
- Application*: Complete the application form and mail it to the Volunteer Services Office.
- Upon receipt of your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview, if your availability matches open volunteer positions and required skills set.
- After a successful interview, volunteers are required to:
- Obtain a free TB skin test provided by Metro Health before their first volunteer assignment.
- Purchase a volunteer uniform ($17 – $23)
- Consent to a criminal background check
- Attend a general orientation session and a department-specific training. (General orientation familiarizes the volunteer with Metro Health’s mission, vision and policies.)
* To request an application be mailed to your residence, please call (616) 252-7009.
Metro Health also offers the following activities for students. Interested students may call (616) 252-7009 for information.
Job Shadow: A short-term experience, less than one day, where a student is allowed to observe an assigned employee and ask questions about their career. This is an experience with no assistance in patient care. Participants in a job shadowing experience must complete several forms. Please download the Health Screening Form, Confidentiality Agreement and Job Shadow Application and return to Metro Health Hospital Volunteer Services, Attn. Jennifer DeVries, P.O. Box 916, Wyoming, MI 49509. Job Shadow Application Health Screening Confidentiality Agreement
Internship: A process where a student’s course work in class is applied to a directly related work experience for one semester in a department. An internship involves a set number of hours on site at the hospital.