Everyone wants radiant skin, but sometimes we get overwhelmed by the variety of treatment options and beauty products available to attain such a bright complexion. Lets get back to basics. Simplicity is the key to beautiful skin as well as a healthy lifestyle. Follow these 10 basic steps that are beneficial to your skin as well as your health!
- Exercise - It increases blood flow and delivery of nutrients to the skin. It’s good for the body, makes the skin glow and lifts your spirits, too!
- Sleep - We all need 6-8 hours of beauty sleep! It clears the mind and allows the body to recover and regenerate.
- Balanced diet - A healthy diet of fruits and vegetables containing potent antioxidants is great for the skin and protects against the damaging effects of free radicals. And certainly don’t forget to drink 6-8 glasses of water daily keeps your body and skin well hydrated.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol - Alcoholic beverages dehydrate the skin and smoking is notorious for rapidly accelerating the aging process. Avoid or quit smoking and drinking not only for beauty reasons, but for health, financial and social reasons as well.
- Stress - Stress can exacerbate a variety of skin conditions from acne to eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. It may be difficult to avoid stress all together, but techniques like meditation and yoga can help to curb stress and anxiety.
- Sun exposure - Of course, there is no such thing as a healthy tan. Production of melanin is your skin’s defense mechanism to the damaging effects of the sun. Overexposure to the sun leads to accelerated aging. Sunscreen, a light cover-up, wide brimmed hat and shades will keep you both feeling and looking cool while having fun in the sun!
- Cleanse and exfoliate - Cleansing the skin with a gentle cleanser is necessary to remove dirt and oil twice daily. Exfoliation should be done regularly or at least with each seasonal change to remove the dead skin cells and reveal the young, fresh skin that lies beneath. Consult with an aesthetician to discuss options such as an exfoliating facial, chemical peel or microdermabrasion to come up with a skin care plan that is right for you.
- Fortify – Your skin needs moisture and proper nutrients. Moisturizing creams, lotions and serums fortify, protect and hydrate the skin. Dry air, wind and cold can deplete the skin of essential moisture. Generously misting your skin throughout the day with a bottle of floral water can reduce moisture loss and is refreshing as well!
These are some basic and helpful tips to beautiful, radiant skin. Please stop in and see us at the Metro Health Cosmetic Treatment Center. We offer a full line of physician grade products and mineral makeup. Free physician consultations are available 5 days a week to address any of your skin care needs!