Metro Health has a variety of restorative services specifically designed for patients requiring outpatient care at either Metro Health Hospital or one of our many neighborhood outpatient centers. See our outpatient therapy locations.
We provide general therapeutic solutions and exercise techniques for the management of movement disorders. By spending one-on-one time with patients, our licensed physical therapists can monitor each patient’s progress firsthand and modify treatment as necessary. Our therapists also stay connected with a patient’s physician, whether from a Metro Health outpatient center or referring practice. In addition to a physical therapy evaluation, we offer various specialty services:
- TENS Evaluation – a portable electronic device used to evaluate and manage pain and muscle spasms
- Custom Arch Support Fitting & Evaluation – an evaluation of the biomechanics of the foot, which may include specific shoe recommendations or creating a custom device to fit into shoes for proper arch support
- Imbalance & Dizziness (Vestibular Therapy) – helping patients overcome dizziness and imbalance associated with disorders of the inner ear and central nervous system
- Sports Rehabilitation – focus is on the physical and psychological management of athletes with the ultimate goal of getting them back to their sports quickly and safely.
- Spine Evaluation – Outpatient spine services include an in-depth evaluation from a McKenzie trained therapist.
- Aqua therapy – Increases flexibility and range of motion without putting stress on the joints
Speech & Language Pathology
Our speech & language pathologists perform comprehensive speech, language, cognitive and swallowing evaluations to determine the extent of the patient’s disability and provide focused treatment techniques. In addition to a speech evaluation, we offer the following specialty services:
- Swallow Studies (Videofloroscopy) – a video study of the various phases of swallowing. Diet and liquid consistency recommendations are made based on the evaluation.
- Vocal Cord Analysis (Videostroboscopy) – a video evaluation which utilizes a special camera to visualize vocal cords. This evaluation gives important information about vocal cord problems and function.
- Tongue Thrust (Myofunctional Therapy) – use of exercises to increase muscle strength and control of the mouth and tongue by retraining the swallow pattern
- Voice Restoration & Therapy – assessment and treatment of post-laryngectomy patients to enhance their communication, including assessments for a voice prosthesis or electrolarynx. We also provide therapy to patients with voice disorders to strengthen respiratory and laryngeal functioning and eliminate vocally abusive behaviors.
Restoring patients’ performance of daily life activities following injury or illness is the focus of our occupational therapy outpatient programs. Using a team approach, our therapists analyze a patient’s activities to determine how and which muscles, joints and body positions must work together to complete a specific action.
Our hand therapy services include orthotic fabrication (splints and orthotics) and general range of motion and strengthening exercises for hand, wrist and elbow conditions provided by a certified hand therapist working directly with hand surgeons.
Our primary care physicians, fellowship trained sports medicine physicians and physical therapists work together to evaluate and treat sports injuries, including sprains, concussions, eating disorders, running injuries, sports physicals, fractures, foot problems and overuse syndrome. Working with orthopedic surgeons and other specialists, their focus is to get an athlete quickly and safely back to their sport. Our team works closely with local athletic teams and numerous community events. Learn More.
We offer a variety of multidisciplinary evaluations and treatments of neuromuscular disorders such as:
- Mild Brain Injury
At Metro Health, many of our physicians are doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs) and have additional training in neuromusculoskeletal medicine, which includes osteopathic manipulative treatment-a series of gentle movements a physician does with his or her hands to relieve restrictions of normal motion, reduce spasms and relieve pain. Treatment at one of Metro Health’s OMT clinics typically follows a visit to your primary doctor.