A visit to the hospital can be difficult for anyone. For children, even a routine visit can feel stressful. Child Life Specialists, as members of the health care team, use developmental interventions and play to help patients and their families understand and adjust to their medical experiences. Child Life Specialists support patients from infants up to 18 years of age during their hospital experience. They also work with the siblings, children and grandchildren of patients.
Additionally, Metro Health offers free pre-surgical tours for children and their family as part of a pre-operative teaching program where they visit surgery preparation and recovery rooms, learn about medical equipment and get their ask questions answered.
- Medical play in individual and group settings
- Emotional support and distraction during painful or scary times
- Playing with toys and games in the playroom or bedside
- Preparation and education before surgery and medical testing
- Pain management techniques like deep breathing, guided imagery and relaxation
Child Life Specialists:
Bethany Folsom, CCLS, CPST
Megan Rogers, CCLS, CPST
Metro Health Hospital, 5900 Byron Center Ave, Wyoming, MI 49519
Phone: (616) 252-7946 Fax: (616) 252-6228
Child life specialists are also available to assist with pediatric patients at Metro Health Hudsonville, Metro Health Jenison, The Cancer Center at Metro Health Village and Metro Heart & Vascular in downtown Grand Rapids.