FAQ’s on heart screenings
Why is Metro Health offering this heart screening?
Sudden death due to heart problems is rare in youth, estimated at 1 in 50,000. While this is rare, having a condition predisposing to sudden cardiac death is 1 in 333 – many of which can be corrected if found. At Metro Health, our goal is to reduce this risk even further by screening students for potential cardiac problems including other heart abnormalities that are much less serious but important to be aware of.
What is required to have the heart screening?
- The cardiac screening is free and intended for high school students from 14-18 years of age
- The screening will be offered to a limited number of students on a first-come-first-serve basis. Registration is required.
- Please make sure that you arrive five minutes prior to your appointment time.
- Each student must complete a Pre-participation Physical Evaluation form. The form must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian in order to perform the screening. This form is available for download online or at the event. The screening cannot be performed without a signed Pre-participation Physical Evaluation form.
- To help improve the accuracy of the tests, it is important that the information you provide regarding the personal and family history is as accurate as possible.
How long with the screening take?
Expect your appointment to take 20-30 minutes. We will do our best to see you at your scheduled time.
What should I wear?
A gown will be provided for your screening exam, so you can wear what you wish.
Do parents need to come with their teenagers?
Yes. All students need to have a parent or guardian with them at the screening?
What does the heart screen consist of?
The screening includes a free EKG and ECHO, if required based on the EKG results. Both of these tests are pain-free examinations of the heart that take only a few minutes to complete. A Certified Cardiologist will read the results of these tests and any unusual findings will be reported to you during the screening for follow up with your own physician.
Where is the location of the heart screening?
The Metro Health Keeping the Beat student Heart Screening will be held at Metro Health Cascade located at 4300 Cascade Rd. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
What if the event is full? Will you offer additional heart screenings?
Yes, Metro Health will be offering additional heart screenings. Please check our website or Facebook page for future dates.
Who do I call for more information?
Please call (616) 252-1540 for any questions during the registration process or for more information.