Metro Health Research Day
General Information & Participant Requirements
17th Annual Metro Health Research Day 2019
Thursday, May 2, 2019
Metro Health Professional Building – Grand Conference Room
Poster Presentation Session 4-5:30 PM
There is no limit on the number of posters submitted, however, a minimum of one author per poster must be present to qualify for judging.
Submissions for Metro Health Research Day are open to:
• All Metro Health employees or Metro Health interns
To participate in the Metro Health Research Day you must register by Friday, April 12, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST. Registrations received after the deadline, will not be eligible for prizes. Registration must represent basic details about the participant’s project.
• Identify if project is research, quality improvement, or case study.
• For human research, IRB approval.
• For quality projects, non-research or non-human subjects research determination.
• For case reports, be sure there are no patient identifiers included
• Students/Residents must have faculty listed on the project.
The judging pool consists of members from the academic community with varied healthcare backgrounds and experience and may include DO, MD, mid-level providers with research experience, and biostatisticians.
There will be at least 3 judges in a group and each group will have a cross section of expertise and credentials. Each group will receive randomly assigned posters to review. Poster presentations will take place from 4:00 – 5:30 pm at which time presenters will have time to discuss their project with the judges. Each judge will complete an evaluation form for every project they are assigned to. The scoring for each project will take place from 5:00 – 5:30 pm.
• The preferred size is 3′ tall x 5′ wide. However, if you are planning on presenting at another conference, you may want to check with their requirements as well. Metro Health provides poster templates and they are available here.
• Printing: You may use any vendor but we have worked with http://www.posterpresentations.com in the past and they invoice Medical Education Department directly for Residents*. If you would like to utilize this ordering process go to: https://posterpresentations.com/metrohealth-clinical-research-poster-printing.html If you are not using this vendor or your poster is already printed, please bring it to Medical Education Department no later than April 22, 2019. *For non-resident presenters please speak to your upline about the cost and how it will be invoiced or reimbursed.
• PHI: posters may not include any identifying information about patients or research subjects. If you would like to use potentially identifying images, authorization to use these must be obtained from the patient. Please submit your poster for a quick PHI review to the Office of the IRB (email@example.com). Once it is confirmed that a) no PHI is present or b) the proper authorizations have been obtained, the IRB will email back that it is ok to print. If you have questions contact the IRB at 616-252-5026.
The judges will review and score all poster presentations based on an evaluation form. Each evaluation will have a total of 60 potential points.
Presentation – Guidelines
• The presentation must be on your own research and must be conducted predominantly at Metro Health.
• Please ensure you give credit where credit is due by identifying which part(s) of the project were previously completed by other individuals.
• The Background, Purpose, Hypothesis/Problem Identification, Methods, Results, Discussion and Conclusion should be emphasized.
• We strongly recommend you tailor your presentation so that it is delivered in language that is easily understood by an audience composed of basic and clinical researchers, not just for those within your area of expertise.
• Presentations are allotted 5 minutes for delivery and 3-5 minutes for a question and answer period.
First, second and third place will be awarded for resident research, QI projects, and Case Reports.
For poster presentations given by non-residents, a certificate of participation will be provided but are not eligible for monetary prizes.
Keynote Presentation 5:30 – 6:30 PM
Contact Information /Questions?
• Lauren Gaytan, Medical Education, 616-252-7137
• Jennifer Rice, Clinical Research, 616-252-5026