Metro Health in the Community
Metro Health is more than a health care system; we’re an important part of your community. Here are just a few of the ways Metro Health helps improve the health and well-being of the people in our community.
Live Healthy Programs
Metro Health’s Live Healthy Programs include free and low-cost health screens, educational classes, support groups, community events and more. Many of our programs focus on health issues specific to our community based on data from the Community Health Needs Assessment, including heart disease, stroke, obesity and maternal and infant care.
Metro Health takes pride in our commitment to sustainability, from the innovative design features of our hospital and physician offices to our day-to-day business practices and ongoing strategies to conserve natural resources and promote a healthy environment.
- Community Garden in Wyoming
- Electronics recycling, paper shredding and community clean up days
- Metro Health Garden used for education and to supplement Metro Café produce needs
- Movie nights featuring documentaries about environmental issues that affect our community
- Rain barrel building workshops
- Semi-annual Mercury Thermometer Disposal and Drug Take Back Day
Connecting with Community
Metro Health makes it a priority to be active within our community by sponsoring programs and events that support our mission to improve the health and well-being of our community.
- Annual holiday food drive
- Blood drives
- Community coalitions – Association for Community Health Improvement Conference Planning Committee, Community Health Advisory Committee, Community Transformation Grant Leadership and Healthy Eating & Active Living Committees (Kent County Health Connect), HealthNet Advisory Committee, Healthy Kent 2020 Board and Kent County Parks Foundation Board
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- Habitat for Humanity
- Metro Health Farm Markets – Kids Day and Health & Wellness Day
- Metro Way 5K & Family Fun Run
- Official sports medicine provider for the Grand Rapids Drive, Grand Rapids Griffins and Grand Rapids Football Club.
- Sponsorships – American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, Byron Ministries, Health Intervention Services, Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and the Wyoming/Kentwood Chamber of Commerce.