Promoting a Healthier Environment
It’s not always easy being green. But at Metro Health, we believe it’s well worth the effort.
From compostable plates and cups, water-savvy mops and “green” cleaning products to hospital-wide recycling and “lean” programs, Metro Health is setting the environmental standard for hospitals and other organizations throughout the nation.
Some Key Initiatives
- Converted to a micro-fiber mop system to cut annual water use by 43,000 gallons and reduce chemical use by 90 percent.
- Using Green Seal Certified cleaning agents for housekeeping.
- Expanded recycling programs to include a wide variety of products such as computers, paper, light bulbs, cardboard, X-ray film and batteries.
- Implemented a hospital-wide carpooling program.
- Switched to biodegradable cups, plates and plastic silverware in the hospital cafeteria.
- Eliminated the use of all medical equipment containing mercury.
- Incorporated reusable needle box containers to reduce annual medical waste by 7.8 tons.
- Using bio-based lubricants and adhesives in health care and hospital maintenance applications.
- Implemented a hospital-wide “lean” program to decrease waste and redundancy.
Learn about our green building practices, too!