Metro Health Blood Drive
Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Metro Health Professional Building, Lower Level Conference Rooms A & B
2122 Health Dr. SW, Wyoming, MI 49519
Register to win a 40 inch HDTV provided by Decker & Sons. FREE 16 oz Stainless Steel Thermos for everyone who attempts to give blood. You may call to schedule an appointment by calling
(616) 252-7556 or just walk in.
Facts about Giving Blood
- Giving blood takes only a short time: just 7-10 minutes to draw your blood, plus approximately 40 minutes for registration, pre-donation health screening, and snack/rest period afterward.
- Every donated pint of blood can help 3-4 people.
- You CANNOT get AIDS or any other infectious disease from the act of donating blood. Equipment used to collect blood comes prepackaged and sterile; it is used just once and then properly disposed.
- You may be eligible to give blood every 56 days if you are a healthy person 17 or older, weighing 110 pounds or more.
You may need to wait to donate blood if you have:
- Allergies – You may donate only if symptoms are under control.
- Colds & Flu – Wait until you have no fever and you feel well.
- Dental Work – Wait 2 to 6 weeks after major procedures; OK after fillings and cleanings if symptom free.
- Infectious Diseases – Check with our Donor Services staff if exposed to any contagious disease (measles, chicken pox, mumps, mononucleosis, whooping cough) in past 4-6 weeks.
- Pregnancy – Wait 6 weeks after delivery or interrupted pregnancy.
- Ear/Body Piercing – You may donate if piercing was done with disposable device or in doctor’s office; otherwise, wait 12 months.
- Skin Infections – Wait until wounds or burns are healed and infection-free.
- Medications – Many are acceptable but you must know the exact name
- Vaccinations – Flu / can donate; Other vaccinations / check with Donor Services staff.
- Past Deferrals – Please try again, because changes in donor criteria may make you eligible now.
- You must wait 12 months (1 year) to donate after receiving a tattoo or after treatment for syphilis or gonorrhea.
- You MAY NOT donate at all if you have AIDS, positive HIV test, some blood diseases, or epilepsy; OR if you have chronic lung, liver, or heart disease; OR if you have had hepatitis; OR if you have spent a total of 3 months in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996.