Grand Rapids Acute Care Hospitals Enhancing Healthy Visitor Efforts
Grand Rapids hospitals are working to meet the challenge of caring for our community during this highly active flu season. One of the most important tools in fighting the transmission of flu is limiting exposure.
The flu can be especially dangerous to the young, frail or elderly. For the safety of patients and staff, Saint Mary’s Health Care, Metro Health and Spectrum Health will limit visitation to its hospitals, beginning Monday, January 14. In addition, they are asking patients to limit the number of people who accompany them to office and clinic visits.
Visitors are asked to respect the following restrictions:
• If you are ill, please refrain from visiting the hospital
• All visitors are expected to be healthy and the hospitals are taking active steps to protect patients, staff and visitors. A healthy visitor is someone who does not have the following symptoms:
• Fever, greater than 100.4 F
• Barking cough
• Sore throat
• Runny nose or congestion
• Vomiting or diarrhea
• Rash or draining sores
• Only healthy visitors may visit patients in the hospitals or outpatient clinics
• Only two visitors or family members are allowed per patient at a time
These conditions apply to visitors at all Grand Rapids hospitals and are effective until further notice. These measures are designed to protect vulnerable patients, as well as staff members.
To avoid getting influenza, Grand Rapids physicians recommend:
• Get your seasonal influenza vaccine
• Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly
• Avoid contact with people who have flu-like symptoms
• Get plenty of rest
• Eat a healthy, balanced diet
• Most symptoms can and should be treated at home. Only the most severe illnesses require a visit to an urgent care location or emergency department
• It will take anywhere from five to 10 days for the illness to run its course
• Most people who contract influenza should try to stay home, rest, drink plenty of liquids and take acetaminophen or an anti-inflammatory medicine