Providing a Safe Environment
Metro Health is committed to providing a safe environment for all individuals. The promotion of safety and prevention of injury is the first consideration in all actions and the responsibility of every member of the Metro Health team.
What is Metro Health doing to improve patient safety?
• Every employee at Metro Health is dedicated to making Metro a safe place to receive health care.
• Metro Health takes action to be compliant with the National Patient Safety Goals created by The Joint Commission and the National Quality Forum’s Safe Practices for Hospitals.
• Metro Health’s Medication Safety Team develops processes to meet standards from the Institute of Safe Medication Practices to ensure safe medication administration.
• Metro Health takes safety seriously because we care about you.
How you can help us make your health care safer.
• Ask questions if you have concerns or do not understand something.
• Work with your doctor and health care team. Be able to provide your health history and up-to-date information.
• Bring a list of every medication you are taking. This includes prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines and dietary supplements, such as vitamins and herbs.
• If you have any questions about the directions on your medicine labels, ask.
• Tell your doctor and health care team about any allergies and adverse reactions you have had in the past.
• If you do not understand why your physician has ordered tests and treatments, ask for an explanation.
• Ask for the results of tests and procedures. No news is not necessarily good news. Ask what the results mean for you.
• Become an informed health care customer. Learn about your illnesses or conditions. If you don’t understand your treatment plan, ask questions.
• Do what your doctor suggests. Ask for information in writing and make sure you can read and understand it.
• Include a family member or friend in your care. Take them with you to appointments to help you understand and follow your care plan.
• When in doubt…ASK! We believe safe heath care is a partnership.
What should you do if you have a safety concern?
• Tell any Metro Health employee or doctor right away.
• If your concern is not taken care of, ask to talk to a manager.