The Epworth Sleepiness Scale
How likely are you to doze off or fall asleep in the following situations, in contrast to just feeling tired?
Use the following scale to choose the most appropriate number (0-3) for each situation. If you haven’t recently experienced one of these situations, go ahead and predict how your body might react.
0= No chance of dozing
1= Slight chance of dozing
2= Moderate chance of dozing
3= High chance of dozing
- Sitting and reading
- Watching television
- Sitting inactive in a public place
- Riding as a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
- Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances allow
- Sitting and talking to someone
- Sitting quietly after lunch without alcohol
- In a car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic
After answering each question, total your score.
If it equals 10 or more, we suggest you see a physician for further evaluation to determine the cause of your daytime sleepiness and whether you may have a sleep disorder.